What does link type mean automatically
What is an uplink port? Definition and explanation
On the switch you will sometimes find the designation "Uplink" on a socket. But what is an uplink? We'll tell you.
If you are looking for an uplink port definition, we have to go a little further. First of all: it plays an important role in the computer network (LAN or WAN). Distribution devices such as a hub or a switch (“switch”, “distributor”) connect individual parts of the network.
In contrast to a hub, a switch does not send the data to be transmitted to all computers in the network, but only to the correct recipient. You can find out more about the switch in our article:
What is a switch?
In the case of a switch, a distinction is made between port and segment switches. Segment switches can manage multiple MAC addresses per port. Port switches can only manage one MAC address per port, so you can only connect end devices. Unless the device has one Uplink port.
What does uplink port mean?
In computer networks, an uplink is the connection from one switch to the next Switch(or hub) meant.
What does the uplink port do?
If you want to connect a switch to another switch using a normal network cable (patch cable), you need the uplink port. This swaps the sender and receiver pair of the ports so that the whole thing works. Alternatively, you can do this without an uplink port. To do this, however, you have to use a crossover cable, which has the same effect.
The latter is no longer necessary these days, thanks to theAuto uplink technology. The port detects whether it is a connection to a computer (receiving) or an uplink connection to a switch or router (sending).
The early switches didn't yet master one Auto-MDI-Xwhich is why they were connected to each other via crossover cables or uplink ports. Thanks to Auto MDI-X, switches and network cards can now identify the send or receive line of the connected cable and switch over if necessary.
If you have problems with your network, check the network settings. In the gallery we show how it works:
If your network goes on strike, the video shows you simple solutions:
Now you know what an uplink port is and what it has to do with the network. Do you have any further questions about the home or office network? Then let us and our readers tell you in the comments.
You don't want to miss any news about technology, games and pop culture? No current tests and guides? Then follow us on Facebook (GIGA Tech, GIGA Games) or Twitter (GIGA Tech, GIGA Games).
- What is an okonaimasu
- How many hizb in the quran hadis
- What is the full form of NRI
- How to program ocdtr-3
- How to use a long dog leash
- Who is Jeremy Renner's agent
- Soulet fargo instructions on how to tie
- Divorce software how to use
- How to install Dayz Era for Steam
- What is redirect volume data
- Kerongsang Borong Plaza GM Chow
- Using a zx spectrum keyboard
- Fbn wsj gop debate philosophers who believe
- How To Make Mud Brick DIY Crafts
- What is archen developing into
- Anandi ormanjhi block chowk ranchi
- What to Wear Melbourne Weather Australia
- How many hours does a kitten sleep?
- Silvia san giorgio sapienza howard
- How do you score with pfiq 7
- What colors make maroon sweets melt
- How many streets did I ask myself, texts
- Thabane Zulu general manager by whom
- He conquers who can endure the definition