What are examples of acoelomats
Primary literature and secondary literature
Types of sources - what do they mean and how are they related?In principle, it is very easy to correctly assign the source when researching the literature. Because the designations primary and secondary already indicate what the issue is about:
- Primary literature: This means first-hand information. These can be the results of scientific work and research.
- Secondary literature: Here the publication is no longer from a single source, but created on the basis of primary literature. So a second person can deal with a master's thesis and have supplemented it.
- Tertiary literature: There is also a third type of source. These are dictionaries and encyclopedias that give a brief overview of an author's subject or work.
For example, poems can be assigned to primary literature. Any other first-hand literary work can also be meant. Thus, the bachelor thesis and master thesis are also primary literature. Dissertations, research contributions and everything else that flows in the context of first publications can also be assigned to the primary literature.
Examples of primary, secondary and tertiary literature
Again, the secondary literature cites the primary sources and provides an overview of the content of the original original content. In doing so, it supplements the primary source if possible. Examples of assignment are monographs on specialist topics, presentations and reviews.
If we wanted to elaborate further, we would come across tertiary literature. This summarizes the secondary literature and can be assigned to textbooks, encyclopedias and non-fiction books, for example.
|Primary literature||Secondary literature||Tertiary literature|
|Novels||Monographs on specialist topics||Textbooks|
|Films and performances||Reviews||Non-fiction|
|Letters and diary entries||Articles and reviews|
|empirical study||Biographies of historical people|
Request plagiarism report quicklyFor only 16.99 € we will thoroughly check your work for plagiarism and send you a report on it.
If you are working on your bachelor's or master's thesis, then the literature research is an important part for you. Because once you have an overview of reliable works, your work will be much easier. But how should you deal with primary, secondary and tertiary literature? Regardless of the topic of your work, the following recommendations for literature research arise:
What kind of literature belongs in the scientific work?
- Primary literature: This should be in the first position when choosing your sources! Because here you can objectively interpret the writing and interpret it correctly.
- Secondary literature: Here, on the other hand, use should be avoided if possible. The reason for this is that secondary sources can easily misinterpret the primary sources, which lowers the quality of your work.
- Tertiary literature: This is just a rudimentary overview of the content for the initial sorting of the topics. It is inadequate for scientific work and should always be avoided.
Basically, when citing primary to tertiary literature, the same applies as for the other citation style that you have surely learned. First there is the distinction between the direct quotation and the indirect quotation:
How can you correctly cite primary and secondary literature?
- Direct quote: Here you take over the direct wording and have to put the taken over in quotation marks when quoting.
- Indirect quote: In this case you are not taking over the content literally directly, but in a corresponding manner. This means that you don't have to put it in quotation marks, but you still have to mark it as third-party content.
German & American citation styleIf your professor gave you clear instructions, you need to follow them. A German way of quoting means for you that you cite the source in the footnote apparatus. If you work with writing programs such as Microsoft and Pages, functions are automatically included. This means that you simply click on insert footnote, whereupon the corresponding number appears in the correct place in the text and you correctly indicate the source at the bottom of the footnote apparatus as follows: Number of footnote (is inserted automatically). Last name, first name: title of the work. Place: publisher, year. Number of pages.
Next, the American way of quoting should be briefly explained, which can be described as much simpler than the way of quoting footnotes. Because with the American citation - also called Harvard citation - you simply put the following information after the quote within two brackets: last name, year, page number.
With that the matter is done and you are qualitatively fully on target. Of course, you must not forget the final collection of your sources at the end of your publication.
However, if you do everything fully as described here, then the path you have taken is correct. If available, provide additional information such as the edition. If you adhere to these guidelines, then you cannot complain about the citation style for primary literature and secondary literature in master's thesis and the like.
Example for the different quote types:
"Correct citation is important for a scientific paper" (Fischer, 2020, p. 31).
“Correct citation is important for a scientific paper” (Schneider, 2021, quoted from Fischer, 2020, p. 12).
German citation (with footnotes):
"Correct citation is important for a scientific paper"1
"Correct citation is important for a scientific paper"2
1Fischer: Quoting sources correctly, 4th edition, Hamburg, Germany, 2020, p. 31
2Schneider, 2021, quoted from Fischer, 2020, p. 12.
As you could see, the primary and secondary literature is nowhere near a great secret. Dealing with all types of sources is also very easy, which is simply based on the rules of citation. These rules are the real heart of the master's thesis, bachelor thesis and every other scientific challenge that you will encounter. Unfortunately, a lot of students leave points unnecessarily at this point and occasionally get bad grades: The professor's specifications are disregarded, which can easily be set at the beginning of the term paper in the format templates of the writing programs. Therefore - primary, secondary and tertiary literature or not - always take the professor's instructions to heart. So pay attention to the little things:
- Define the desired margins individually
- Pay attention to certain citation style - if desired; otherwise free choice
- Take font sizes into account
- Include mandatory sources
If texts are cited in an academic paper, these passages must be indicated in the bibliography. The structure and content follow certain guidelines and differ depending on how they are cited. But what exactly belongs in the bibliography and how is it implemented correctly? We have...Read more
In a scientific text you have to correctly quote every part taken from another work, regardless of whether it is a verbatim quote, an opinion or a thesis. Only if the reference or the way of citing is correct, the reader can choose from ...Read more
- Agata wojcik piechowice nieruchomosci
- How to be dated in Excel
- What does gating mean
- What does Krista mean in German
- Ritchie Howell Custom Yachts
- How do magnetic flywheels work
- What happened to flash on Crime Horman
- What if God was wrong?
- What is Trevor Jackson Net Worth
- Theracal vs Vitrebond, how to use Dycal
- How to pronounce mgambo seeds
- Maxi climber Costco wholesale
- They say set me free in spanish
- Thomas Schumacher when I rock zippy
- Howard Johnson Peters Creek Rd
- How to get Yeti Pharaoh Gem
- What is professional relationship
- What is single loss retention
- Howard Honda Beckley Wv
- Soccer player taking off her shirt
- 02 rsx jerks when switching
- Ridge comb between boxes wholesale
- What does an underlined plus sign mean
- The intolerance and cruelty criticized
- Bpos dashboard everywhere Chrysler
- Al Murray Scottish Accents How To
- Doitc Cug dashboard everywhere
- What is Farlin Metamizole Sodico
- Quasi-cash transaction Internet, the Internet payment
- What is binaural beats meditation against pain
- Who is Aaron Swartz Partner Quinn
- What compromises a network
- Who were the ancestors of the Romans of Jesus
- Ben Howard Old Pine Lyrics Az Marillion