How is ringworm of the scalp treated with Diflucan
Psoriasis - scalp
Psoriasis - scalp: what are the symptoms?
Often the inflammation foci of psoriasis on the head reach beyond the hairline. Then the disease also leaves traces on the face. This is doubly uncomfortable for those affected, as these areas are difficult to conceal. For example, a typical area where scalp psoriasis becomes visible is the forehead near the hairline. But temples and neck can also be affected. The foci are reddish in color, have a lot of scales and often cause unpleasant itching.
In some cases, psoriasis on the head can also lead to (usually temporary) hair loss. In this case, plaques form around the hair shafts, which lead to hair loss (psoriasis amiantacea). With a very strong (asbestos-like) expression of psoriasis capitis, the hair can break off, and irreversible hair loss is also possible.
These symptoms make psoriasis on the scalp a condition that can seriously affect the wellbeing and self-confidence of those affected - especially if the psoriasis is visible on the face. For this reason alone, patients should be treated early. If psoriasis capitis is not treated for a long time, the risk of psoriasis-related hair loss also increases. In addition, scalp psoriasis is sometimes associated with psoriasis in or on the ear.
Psoriasis - Scalp: How Is The Diagnosis Made?
For an initial suspicion of psoriasis on the head, the doctor may need to take a look at the affected areas - especially if the patient is already being treated for psoriasis. However, it is important to distinguish psoriasis of the scalp from other eczema, fungal diseases, lichen planus, lupus erythematosus and other diseases.
Psoriasis - scalp: treatment
Therapy for psoriasis of the scalp aims to normalize the excessively flaky scalp and to stop the inflammation. Various preparations are available for this, which are applied to the scalp.
Before these can be used, however, it is necessary to loosen the dandruff so that the active ingredients can develop their effect at all. This task is fulfilled by over-the-counter dandruff shampoos with salicylic acid, easily washable salicylic oils or - with particularly stubborn dandruff - special creams or solutions.
Then preparations are used that combat the symptoms of psoriasis of the head. Which includes various shampoos, foams and solutionsthat contain cortisone and / or vitamin A or vitamin D3 derivatives (e.g. calcipotriol or tacalcitol) and are preferably alcohol-free. Preparations that contain vitamin D3 derivatives or a combination of vitamin D3 derivatives with cortisone are also suitable for a longer period of use of up to one year. Pure cortisone preparations, on the other hand, are not suitable for permanent external use of psoriasis capitis.
There are often good experiences with so-called UV light combs (UVB rays) for psoriasis on the scalp. With their help, areas of the scalp affected by psoriasis can be specifically irradiated with UV light. Before doing this, it is also necessary to loosen the dandruff from the scalp.
If these external (topical) measures do not help enough, psoriasis on the scalp can often be resolved with a internal (systemic) treatment get a grip. The doctor gives the patient tablets or syringes with active ingredients that specifically slow or stop inflammatory processes. Such preparations are commonly used in more severe cases of psoriasis. Read more about this here.
Psoriasis - Scalp: Tips For Hair Care
With regard to hair care, you should know that the symptoms of psoriasis capitis can appear in all areas where the skin is irritated - even on those that were previously free of symptoms and looked healthy. Doctors call this the Koebner effect. Therefore the following tips:
- Use only soft brushes and combs that will not scratch the scalp.
- Blow-dry your hair only lukewarm.
- Avoid perm and hairspray.
- It is better to refrain from coloring and tinting your hair. However, if you want to give your hair a new color despite psoriasis on the scalp, you should only use special natural products after consulting your doctor and not have them applied to the scalp, but only to the hair.
Read more about the therapies
Read more about therapies that can help here:
Author & source information
- Guess who is unu altu trilulilu manele
- What does smhs mean for tmobile
- What is Oggsford man
- Guess a cosmote what's going on
- Saikat Roy Chowdhury Sapient
- How old is Jenna Ramsey Mitchell
- How to Make Crab Naruto Roll
- The Sparrows Nesting by Mary Howitt Summary
- How to learn taekwondo pattern meanings
- Cheers what Doc Cast and crew are doing
- Dr. Who Hub Singapore Math
- How to declare clrscr in dev c
- Aeryn gillern what happened to jimmy
- How did Arthur Scherbius die
- Left of center clothing wholesale
- What does 80 mean erased during pregnancy
- Where can I get a notary public in NYC
- 2 horses Merhow trailer parts
- Meet Joe Black's fireworks scene who played
- Mission style lamps wholesale
- What happened on June 13, 2001 tornado
- Kierownictwo duchowe dominikanie jaroslaw
- How do you say Richard in German?
- How restful web services work