How to Increase Brain Concentration Images
Change image resolution - this is how it works
The resolution of images and photos is not always easy to understand for laypeople. We'll show you what it is and how you can change it with graphics programs like Photoshop and the free GIMP.
Adobe Photoshop CC 2021
Tip | Photoshop: reduce image (scaling)
Changing the image resolution is NOT necessarily the same as changing the image size (scaling) or changing the image format:
- If you change the image size, the resolution usually stays the same. The image is either enlarged or reduced with a loss of quality.
- If you change the image format, you save a JPG file as a PNG file, for example.
- If you ONLY change the image resolution, the (digital) image quality / pixel dimensions will be retained - regardless of whether you reduce or increase it. Only the print dimensions change (more on this below).
- For a better understanding, we explain what resolution is.
Tip: If you just want to change your screen resolution on your PC, click here: Windows 10: Change and adjust resolution.
What is resolution (DPI)?
DPI stands for Dots per inch and indicates the resolution of an image, i.e. how many dots of the image are printed on one inch:
- The higher the DPI, the “finer” the image becomes, as more small dots are displayed per paper surface.
- The lower the DPI, the "coarser" the image, as fewer dots are printed per area.
A resolution of 300 DPI for images has established itself as the standard quality for printing. In the field of image processing, one speaks of PPI (pixels per inch) instead of DPI - the principle is the same. However, the following must be considered here.
Change image resolution
If you have a digital image in Photoshop or GIMP, you can increase or decrease the image resolution in such a way that
- the (digital) Image quality is retained. Episode: Pixel dimensions and file size remain the same. Just that Printing dimensions change.
- himself too the image quality deteriorates (Scaling). Episode: Pixel dimensions, Print dimensions and file size will change.
example for the first variant with one image: 150 DPI, pixel dimensions: 591 x 591 pixels, print dimensions of 10 x 10 cm, file size: 1024 KB.
- If you increase the image resolution from 150 DPI to 300 DPI, the print dimensions change to 5 x 5 cm (become smaller). The printed image will be smaller than before. That is logical, because now more pixels of the image are printed on one inch. You only "see" the change when the picture is printed or in the print preview.
- If you reduce the image resolution from 150 to 75 DPI, the image dimensions are larger to 20 x 20 cm. The printed image will be larger than before because fewer dots per inch will be displayed. In the end, more inches are needed to display all the pixels in the image.
example for the second variant with one image: 150 DPI, pixel dimensions: 591 x 591 pixels, print dimensions of 10 x 10 cm, file size: 1024 KB.
- You double the resolution to 300 DPI. The Pixel dimensions grow to 1182 x 1182 pixels, the Image size quadruples to 4048 KB, the Print dimensions remain the same.
- You halve the resolution to 75 DPI. The Pixel dimensions decrease to 296 x 296 pixels, the Image size is quartered to 256 KB, the Print dimensions remain the same.
Note: For private printing, a maximum of 300 dpi is usually sufficient. For digital use, it should be at least 72 DPI.
Change the resolution in Photoshop
So you can change the image resolution in Photoshop in both variants:
- Open your picture and press the key combination Ctrl + Alt + i. The window Image size opens.
- Next resolution can you change this.
- If the checkmark is next to Recalculate is missing, you change the image resolution without (digital) loss of quality (variant 1).
- If the check mark is set, you change the resolution with loss of quality (variant 2).
- Finally click on OK.
Change the resolution in the GIMP
GIMP uses two different dialogs to change the image resolution in the ways described above:
- You can set variant 1 by going under the menu picture on Print size ... clicks.
- Variant 2 can be found in the same menu picture at Scale image. More here: GIMP change image size.
DPI or PPI don't just exist in printing or image processing. Resolution also plays a role in hardware and screens:
Snapchat pros take note: which game hero is behind these filters?
You don't want to miss any news about technology, games and pop culture? No current tests and guides? Then follow us on Facebook (GIGA Tech, GIGA Games) or Twitter (GIGA Tech, GIGA Games).
- How to withdraw from hsa card declined
- How to fix atari 2600 power supply
- What does nsol answer mean
- How to wear a kerchief scarf 20x20
- How long do Siamese lynx cats live
- Howard Johnson Peters Creek Rd
- Odessa Whitmire as sweet as whole texts
- How to do Pha Khuan
- What is Peer-Net for local services
- Gumbura women whatsapp messages icon
- Saurabh Sharma actor who has died
- Physics games work like a CT scanner
- What is ipilit in english
- When can you change the ffxiv class dungeons
- In Temptation 2008 album When Angels
- Amontillado sherry substitute when cooking
- Fangorn Forest, what madness this quote is
- Boroko Port Moresby postcodes everywhere
- What is CWMP in the router settings
- What is the informalization of the workforce
- Elina hiltunen what's next for the gray anatomy
- How do Apicomplexa reproduce the meaning
- How to add Dropbox to the menu bar
- How to cut a mahogany tree