Where to go in Busan at night

Photo pages

Where South Korea ends and North Korea begins or vice versa, that was my destination today. You can only get to the viewpoints and tunnels on one tour. The whole thing is military spear territory. There wasn't much to take photos and the exciting subjects were forbidden. Nevertheless, the trip was worth it. Take a look at Seoul a little more and go home tomorrow night.

  • Currency: Won, 1000 won = € 0.7
  • Time difference: 8 hours
  • Means of transport: mostly bus, 1x train, approx. 16,000 won was the highest fare; City transport by bus and metro, prices around 1300 won.
  • Overnight: motels, hotels, hostels
  • Golgulsa Monastery: http://sunmudo.net/
  • GH in Seoul: http://www.beewonguesthouse.com/en/
  • GH in Sokcho: http://www.thehouse-hostel.com/
  • GH in Gyeongju: http://www.kjstay.com/content_eng/iboard.cgi
  • Food: approximately 10,000 won
  • Coffee: around 3500 won in the cafe
  • Beer: approx. 4000 won
  • Korea Tourist Info: http://german.visitkorea.or.kr/ger/index.kto Always very helpful on site, if you don't know or understand something, someone who speaks English is always called. Real help!

Nature and culture, friendly people, safe and comfortable travel Korea is definitely worth a vacation!

From Jeonju I made a trip to Maisan Prov. Park made. It is famous for its mountain formations and its buddh. Temples. First we took the bus to the province of Jinan. While waiting, I photographed an election event. People were very happy about it. I was probably the only one paying any attention to them. The temples and the park are really very beautiful, also excellent for hiking. On the way back to Jeonju, I took another bus route. A couple of Koreans with me. In Jeonju, we shared a taxi and headed towards my hotel. They even paid for the taxi. I got a business card from one of them. That is probably common because I have already received several. Maybe I should get some too.

Jeonju itself is a city with over 600,000 inhabitants. In the center there is a shopping area with loud and colorful shops. But there is also an old town, meaning a Hanok village, with many traditional Korean houses. In one of the narrow streets I ran into a camera team. They filmed me walking and taking photos.

Now it's back to the starting point in Seoul tomorrow. It is the last stop in Korea. The trip to Korea was really worth it!

Mokpo is a small port city on the southwest coast of Korea. I also stayed at the fishing port most of the time. Otherwise, I was in a Korean sauna and started reading my 5th book. Thanks to Kindle, I didn't have to lug them all around. The next stop will be in Jeonju before heading back to Seoul.

A stay in a buddh. I can't manage the monastery anymore. But I will definitely go to Korea a second time and also to Japan.

South of Yeosu is the island of Dolsan-eup. I took a trip there today. In Hyangiram at the end of the bus route I first had breakfast in a small cafe. As it turned out, the owners lived in Germany for 30 years. The man worked at Hoechst. He recently visited Germany and brought Tchibo coffee with him from there. So there was Tchibo coffee for breakfast. Strengthened, I went on a nice hike. On the way I visited a buddh. Temple and climbed 2 small mountains. On the way I met many Koreans in trekking gear. Hiking is very popular in Korea. One of the hikers gave me a tip about continuing the hike with a subsequent bus connection. Everything went just fine. According to the travel guide, I would have gone back the same way.

As it is in the title, this is the itinerary of the last 3 days.
From Kyoto we went back to Fukuoka. I had a little time and looked at the modern city center. Stayed the night and took the ferry to Korea the next noon. In the early evening I was back in Busan. From the port I took the metro to the bus terminal and the next bus to Jinju. I was there around 8:00 p.m. and left the place again at 9:00 a.m. in the morning. I reached my final destination, Yeosu, at noon. It is a small seaside town with offshore islands. In the afternoon I went on a boat tour with a smooth sea and a cloudless sky. The place is beautiful and that's why I stay here for 2 nights.

I've been in Kyoto long enough now, paid a visit to Nara and I'm going to Fukuoka tomorrow. In Kyoto I stayed in a machiya (old wooden town house). It is furnished in the traditional Japanese style, i.e. very simple, but also very cozy. At the end of the day, I was in an onsen (Japanese bath) for the last few evenings.

With the Shinkansen Superexpress Sakura and Hikari, I was in Kyoto in no time. Since I didn't know exactly where the guesthouse is, I asked a couple of guys. With the help of Google map and Streetview, they brought me to the door. It was 1:00 p.m. and the GH didn't open until 4:00 p.m. I didn't feel like it 3h. walking around with your backpack, what to do? I asked in the neighboring restaurant if I could leave my luggage there. It wasn't a problem, they even took it to the GH later.

Kyoto's main attractions are the many temples and shrines. Especially nice to look at in autumn with the discoloration of the leaves. Many people are on the move, including tourists from the west. Wuppertal is also known to some, they connect the city first with Pina Bausch and only then with the suspension railway. I had never seen it like this before. Neither did the experience when an elderly Japanese woman gave me flowers on the bus this morning. In the evening I went to an event with geisha, dolls and music. A typical event for tourists but also interesting and not cheap. Like many things in Japan, entrance fees, accommodation, food, drinks, etc. But there are also exceptions. City traffic is cheaper than ours. Sometimes you can also find restaurants that are not expensive but are still of good quality.

Arrived safely in Hiroshima. The journey turned out to be completely problem-free. Take the subway to the Busan International Terminal. A 3 hour hydrofoil crossing to Fukuoka. Smooth seas and sunshine made the trip very pleasant. From the port we took the bus to Hakata Station. Also problem-free, as Koreans helped me pay for the bus ticket. Because you pay when you get out. At the station I got the Railpass and immediately reserved the train rides for the next few days. Everything is well organized, the station is like an airport. The trains are absolutely clean and on time. The inventory on the train is the same for us as 1st class, but here it is only 2nd class. After a little more than 1 hour. Drive I reached Hiroshima. Here I took the tram and after a few minutes' walk I was at the hostel. The room was reserved and is very nice.

The next day sightseeing was announced Peace Park, Museum and O-Torii Gate.

I would like to send a few postcards, but I can't find any. Now it's no longer worth it.

Until noon in the temple and in the afternoon in a city with 1 million inhabitants. From Golgulsa to Busan, that was quick. The stay in the temple was remarkable and will remain unforgettable.

But now I'm in Busan. This is the last stop in Korea for the time being. I stay here for 2 days. Temples, shopping streets, a huge fish market and beaches, Busan has a lot to offer. I also went to the hairdresser's, thought I'd dress up when I travel on to Japan tomorrow. I had lunch at the Busan fish market. Fish, of course, which wasn't cheap. The meal cost as much as a night in a motel. The fish wasn't even big. But that had to be done and it tasted good too. At the same time, a cameraman from a local broadcaster was there filming the restaurant and its owner. Me too, of course. It's good that I was at the hairdresser's before that. Tonight I'm going to eat with Domingo and Alain. I've met both of them several times before. The country is not that big, so people meet more often.

Now the first part is over and I'm looking forward to Japan. But it will also be nice to come back to Korea. Even if the communication doesn't work so well. Others feel the same way. A Frenchman got off at the same station as me and then had to take a taxi to the destination. Nobody had told him. A Dutch woman bought a train ticket and after 3 hours of travel realized that she had gone in the wrong direction.

I have now arrived in Busan with tiredness and sore muscles. This is what comes from doing templestay. Got there yesterday afternoon. There were other tourists there too. Many Germans included. The whole thing looked very professional. There was even an internet point for the guests. The food was vegetarian and you had to eat everything - very important! After dinner we were instructed to pray and kneel down. First there was prayer and then sunmudo exercises. That was pretty exhausting and difficult to do. The lights were turned off around 10 p.m.

The night was short and loud. Loud because people snored in the dormitory and briefly because the alarm clock went off at 4:00 a.m. Time to pray. Everyone stormed up the mountain and arrived punctually for prayer at 4:30 a.m. Really tough, but it got worse. Because after praying, people sat cross-legged for half an hour and meditated. There was no question of meditation for me. I didn't know how to get my legs and joints pain free. A Korean next to me snored while meditating but was woken up. The meditation continued outside, i.e. while walking. First in a circle and later down the mountain again. Everything in the dark and again for 1/2 hour afterwards a few Qi Gong exercises. Breakfast was around 7:00 a.m. We were already up for 3 hours, had prayed, meditated !? and did sports. Total madness. After a break, which we spent dozing in the room, we continued with Sunmudo and stretching exercises. Finally, a quick lap through the forest and a demonstration by the monks on how to properly practice Sunmudo. That was it for 24 hours. Templestay. We checked out and made our way to Busan and Seoul.

The whole thing was quite an experience, certainly recommendable despite sore muscles and tiredness. But it also had the character of a youth hostel stay with sports lessons and religion under strictly conservative management.

If there is enough time, I will do another templestay elsewhere.

I took the train to Gyeongyu. I was only able to get onto the platform just before the train entered. That would be the biggest chaos for us with the number of trains and the unpunctuality. The train strolled along and around 2:00 p.m. I thought I was at my destination. This is what the timetable looked like. I also understood the name of the city when it was called. When I got out the conductor asked me where I was going. I said "Gyeongju". The conductor saved me. This was not my goal yet, the place was called something like that. After 5 minutes of driving I was there. Lucky

The accommodation this time is very special. I reserved it. Should be good. The owners are nice too. Everything has a nice atmosphere, old Korean house, nice courtyard. This is supposed to be a typical Korean place to stay. The room takes getting used to, about 2.5 × 2.5 m, a mattress on the floor, a small table, an even smaller window. I feel like I'm in a cell. It's not cozy. Toilet and shower are next door. Therefor the breakfast is inclusive, eggs, toast and jam! You can not have everything.

There are also a few sights in Gyeongju. Several parks with green hills. They are burial mounds of the Shilla royal family. The hills are of course not allowed to be climbed. Everything is very well maintained. Also Bulguk-Sa, a buddh. Temple and on a mountain the Seokguram Grotto with a very beautiful Buddha figure. Up there you came on a very beautiful and steep hiking trail. The whole time it led through a golden-brown autumn forest. Since today is Sunday, a lot of Koreans were out visiting the sights.

After Gyeongju we now go to the Golgul-Sa Monastery. I am already very excited.